performance of pci_device_get_{vendor, device}_name() in X server startup

Richard Barnette jrbarnette at chromium.org
Tue Jun 8 15:55:59 PDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:

> Twas brillig at 14:26:32 08.06.2010 UTC-07 when
> jrbarnette at chromium.org
> did gyre and gimble:
>
> RB> I'd like advice/opinions on which of these might be the most
> eagerly
> RB> embraced (or at any rate, least vigorously opposed :-) ), or
> whether
> RB> there's a better idea I've overlooked.
>
> The Right Thing that immediately comes to mind is fixing libpciaccess
> internals to be able to read data from saner (indexed,
> string-compressed, with common strings merged for different PCI ids)
> file format to avoid problem with linear search altogether. Given
> simplicity of data format it should be nearly trivial task.

I've considered this, too.  I think it's substantially more work, and
I'd worry that the cost/benefit ratio wasn't very good.  I suspect the
best way to thread the needle would include fiddling with the "pciutils"
package that provides the "pci.ids" file.  I'd be interested in hearing
if you know something about why the cost is more worth it, because I
agree that this is technically the "right" way to do it.

> --
>  http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/

-- jrb