performance of pci_device_get_{vendor, device}_name() in X server startup

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Tue Jun 8 14:47:33 PDT 2010

Twas brillig at 14:26:32 08.06.2010 UTC-07 when jrbarnette at chromium.org
did gyre and gimble:

 RB> I'd like advice/opinions on which of these might be the most eagerly
 RB> embraced (or at any rate, least vigorously opposed :-) ), or whether
 RB> there's a better idea I've overlooked.

The Right Thing that immediately comes to mind is fixing libpciaccess
internals to be able to read data from saner (indexed,
string-compressed, with common strings merged for different PCI ids)
file format to avoid problem with linear search altogether. Given
simplicity of data format it should be nearly trivial task.

--
  http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/