Question on glxGears!

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Mon Jun 7 13:22:02 PDT 2010

Siva wrote:
> Hi,
> I know that GlxGears is not a benchmark, but I'm need to validate the
> performance of a graphics driver that I'm currently working on.
>
> What does Glxgears test exactly, when it reports fps? XServer graphics
> pipeline or the graphics engine capability to handle commands?

Like anything that reports FPS, it's just the number of frames
displayed during some time period.  If you want to measure something
in more detail you'd probably have to modify the program or instrument
the driver in some way.

> I mean if there is a drop of 100fps, is it an indication of
> significant performance drop?

Depends on where you're starting from.  If you're going from 2000fps
to 1900fps it's not *huge*, but a drop from 200fps to 100fps would be.
  We'd need more details to say.

> Any information, pointers will be helpful.

-Brian