running build.sh under gentoo

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sat Jun 5 06:48:49 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 10:33 +0800, Matt Dew wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Matt Dew <matt at osource.org> wrote:
> >> Has anyone had luck getting build.sh to run on gentoo?
> >> It's something with gentoo's python I think.   I searched around but no luck.
> >>
> >> It dies in libxcb.

> >> /usr/bin/python ./c_client.py -p
> >> /home/matt/tmp/xorg.buildsh/lib64/python2.6/site-packages
> >> /home/matt/tmp/xorg.buildsh/share/xcb/dri2.xml
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >>  File "./c_client.py", line 1040, in <module>
> >>   module.resolve()
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/state.py", line 94, in resolve
> >>   item.resolve(self)
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line
> >> 405, in resolve
> >>   self.reply.resolve(module)
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line
> >> 369, in resolve
> >>   ComplexType.resolve(self, module)
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line
> >> 296, in resolve
> >>   type = ListType(child, module.get_type(fkey), self)
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/xtypes.py", line
> >> 163, in __init__
> >>   self.expr = Expression(elts[0] if len(elts) else elt, self)
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/expr.py", line 70, in __init__
> >>   self.lhs = Expression(list(elt)[0], parent)
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/expr.py", line 71, in __init__
> >>   self.rhs = Expression(list(elt)[1], parent)
> >>  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xcbgen/expr.py", line 84, in __init__
> >>   raise Exception('XXX')
> >> Exception: XXX
> >> make[1]: *** [dri2.c] Error 1
> >> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/matt/xorg/modular/xcb/libxcb/src'
> >> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >>

> >> Matt
> >>

> > The standard way of building X from git on Gentoo is to use the
> > ebuilds available in the 'x11' layman overlay. This is a much simpler
> > and more maintainable solution.
> >
> > Matt
> >

> I'm walking through the build scripts I can find, build.sh, jhbuild,
> x-jhbuild, and now Michael's script to test them out from a newbie's
> perspective.   I can't use gentoo specific ways.  Thanks for the info
> though.

X.org project uses GNU packages as a unit of distribution typically
called tarballs. This is what X.org published on its web site, a GNU
package that is configured, but not compiled or linked. Source code is
shipped, not binaries. It's worth a look at the INSTALL file in the
package.

The source code in git contains Autoconf and Automake files
(configure.ac and Makefile.am). When running autogen.sh script (which is
not part of the GNU build system), it performs 2 steps: it runs
autoreconf which creates the platform independent configuration and then
it runs the generated script "configure" which creates the platform
specific configuration. A tarball can be created from git on Linux and
then be installed and configured on Solaris.

In util/modular, scripts like build.sh and others have been created to
cycle through all 240+ independent modules. They know nothing about the
platform where they are executed and nothing about the tools needed to
build (e.g. compilers, lex & yacc, etc...)

Assuming all the tools required to build are installed on a given
platform, you can go to any X.Org package and type "./configure ; make
install" and it should work (add your --prefix).

What is typically not easy is to have all the tools lined up properly on
a given platform. I have counted about 32 of them. I have documented
them for Ubuntu and OpenSolaris. It would be nice to complete the list
with those missing. http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RequiredPackages

It looks like you are struggling with Python. I recall a similar issue
on OpenSolaris which was solved by installed a python-lxml package.
Maybe that can help.