[RFC] Refactoring of dix/dixutils.c

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Jul 28 20:59:06 PDT 2010

I like this series. I haven't had a chance to confirm that the code is
moved unchanged into the new source files, or to think about your
copyright notices question, but splitting distinct functionality out of
dixutils.c seems like an excellent idea to me.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:55:38PM +0300, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Basically dix code is what is written and mandatory in the core protocol.

This might be a good description of what DIX *should* be, but it
certainly isn't a description of what it *is*. The bulk of the code that
Fernando has pulled out is implementation details that are not
protocol-visible. I think those are reasonable to treat as part of the
beast named "DIX", since they are not only device-independent but also
OS-independent; and since they aren't rendering-related they don't
belong in the "machine-independent" part.

The proposed "lookup.c" is mostly about protocol implementation, though,
and I'd be happy to see another patch after this series that reorganizes
dix/ to highlight the protocol implementation bits. Perhaps a separate
top-level proto/ tree?

I wouldn't hold up this series waiting for that reorganization, though.
In my opinion any improvement to this codebase is welcome.

Jamey