'Zaphod' dual-head and mirroring

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:44:18 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to get a ServerLayout/Screen stanza in xorg.conf that
>> handles mirroring in zaphod mode?

Thanks David and Jamie, you guys are right, it is Xinerama. And it
works. Config at
http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/usbvga/xorg-xo1.5-dcon-hires-extmon.conf

I had to tweak Jamie's example a bit, and it doesn't scream
hyper-performance, but pushing tons of pixels across USB v2 was never
going to be fast anyway.

There are 2 things that are acting up however --

 - The internal screen and desktop are 1200x900 and we cannot change
that. If I use an external screen with 1280x960 it distorts the
desktop, if I add Virtual, it ignores my 'modes' line and falls back
to un-declared 1182x864 which clips the screen.

How can I get 1280x960 with a 'virtual desktop size' of 1200x900?
(With black/grey/white banding in the margins...)

 - There is no mouse / pointer displayed on Screen2 -- this seems to
be a Xinerama flaw. Is there a way to get the pointer to display in
Xinerama?

(I wonder if using "software-rendered" pointer would help, but I
cannot find the swrender options anymore...)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions