projects for new developers (was: request for help - evdev third-button emulation)

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jul 6 16:42:38 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 09:54:10AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > This task is definitely suitable for someone starting with X.org
> > development. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll help you get
> > started.
>
> Are there other tasks like that we should be making a list of (either in
> the wiki or via a new bugzilla keyword)?   Things that aren't as mechanical
> as the "janitorial" lists, but are newbie appropriate?    I guess some of
> what's on http://www.x.org/wiki/ToDo applies, but it's hard to tell there
> which would be easy to do without knowing the whole code base in depth.
>
> There's also openhatch.org, which tries to be a clearinghouse to connect
> interested developers with projects that need help - I've played with it
> enough to create an X.Org listing, but not had time to do more than that:
> 	http://openhatch.org/+projects/X.Org

wouldn't it be easier to fix up the wiki page first? somehow I guess that
whatever info we need to provide in openhatch would be the same we could
have on the wiki right now as well.

Just a simple restructuring might just do. Instead of "server, driver, etc"
have it "low hanging fruit", "may cause headage", ""godlike". I think
prospective users are more motivated by having something tangible to start
on than by the actual project they work on.

Cheers,
  Peter