pkg-config files list protos when not required

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 09:19:24 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Julien Cristau <jcristau at debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan  9, 2010 at 14:00:12 -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> I thought the entire point of the cleanup that Peter did before the
>> Katamari release was to divorce user apps from their reliance on the
>> *proto packages... IE install everything needed to build the
>> applications in the library package rather than the proto package.
>> The proto packages should just contain what the libraries require to
>> communicate with the server.
>>
> Hmm, no, as far as I can tell what the cleanup did was separate Xlib
> structures and function declarations from protocol constants/structures,
> and make sure the former lived in the lib* modules instead of the
> protos.  The protocol headers are mostly separated in 2 parts, one is
> the wire structures (say <X11/extensions/renderproto.h>), that is only
> needed to build the server and extension library, and the other is a set
> of protocol constants (like <X11/extensions/render.h>), which is often
> included by the library's public header, and as such needs to be
> installed to build an app against the library.

Right, this was more of a cleanup for the server's benefit so that
pulling in the proto headers wouldn't drag in datatypes from the
client side. But both the client and server are always going to need
pull in the protocol headers such as <X11/X.h>. The only way to avoid
that would be to duplicate them into the server and all the libraries.

--
Dan