[REVIEW] DMX2 DIX merge

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Jan 6 14:39:15 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 14:25 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:12:15 -0500, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > c) Integrating RANDR and Xinerama at the protocol layer
>
> It seems like we could use the current Panoramix implementation at least
> for now, even if you want to do a better job later on. Of course, this
> exposes all kinds of weird crtc placement restrictions as the crtcs for
> each card must all fall within the card frame buffer restrictions.

I described this wrong.  It corrects the RANDR geometry to account for
the Xin muxer's idea of the root window size, but XRRGetScreenResources
still only gives you the RANDR objects on screen 0.  Not useful enough.

> > d) Various performance optimizations for redirected windows and
> > MIT-SHM
>
> Is this actually a useful optimization now that we have TFP?

Kinda?

Basically redirected windows get forced to host memory.  So you're
always drawing to them in software, but on the plus side, you're only
doing it once, where the normal rendering muxer would serialize that
draw across every ScreenRec.

But that's still kind of gross, since your per-screen pixmaps are still
going to end up in VRAM, and then read back out to get to the window
pixmap, and then back into VRAM for the compositor.

Anyway, was planning to just ignore this part of the patch series for
now, since I'm hoping to get lazy pixmap realization working instead.

- ajax