Handling GenericEvents in XSendEvent()

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Dec 20 11:39:14 PST 2010

On 2010-12-20 10:23, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 09:58:18AM -0500, Peter Harris wrote:
>>
>> This needs something like <list type="BYTE" name="data" /> to describe
>> the rest of the event. (See also: PutImage)
>
> Rather.  Ahem.  Can you tell I've never used XCB before?

We all have to start somewhere. Thanks for making the effort.

> I've amended
> and pushed a new version;

You don't define "length" anywhere. This causes libxcb to error out when
it tries to compile xcb-ge.

The "length" field is implicit in replies, but not in requests. The
canonical way to handle lists (in requests) that consume the remaining
length is to leave out the explicit length entirely.
ie: <list type="foo" name="bar" />

> for bonus points, it even installs ge.xml.
> Should libxcb also be generating xcb-ge, or?

Yes, libxcb should be generating xcb-ge. I don't use libxcb much (just
xcb/proto directly), so I hadn't noticed that it was missing. Good catch.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.opentext.com/