Composite ClipNotify fix and expose event elimination

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Dec 20 10:05:42 PST 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:05:38 +0200, ville.syrjala at nokia.com wrote:
> Rather than continue my attempts to hack around the issue of incorrect
> ClipNotifys during window redirection changes, I decided to tackle the
> issue in more proper manner.
>
> This series will remove the internal MapWindow+UnmapWindow cycle and
> replace it with a single ValidateTree+HandleExposures pass through
> the affected windows.

Thanks! As you might imagine, the whole unmap/map adventure was a short
cut to ensure that all of the regions ended up recomputed correctly:

 * compRedirectWindow
   + Redirected window has anything formerly obscured now exposed
   + Underlying windows are exposed where the redirected window was
     covering

 * compFreeClientWindow
   + Un-Redirected window gets painted from backing pixmap
   + Underlying window clip lists get updated

Do you have any small test cases that verify that these are working for
both manual and automatic redirect in each direction? I'm concerned that
the validation code won't 'just work' in all cases...

keith.packard at intel.com