Lack of middle button emulation makes HP life hard

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 16:30:01 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> So, HP laptops come with a pointy-stick in the middle of the keyboard
> and only two buttons. Not having middle-button emulation in this
> environment is pretty harsh.
>
> I know it's not optimal to enable this by default, but I'm wondering
> what can be done to not break these people's machines?

Ship some .conf files in evdev?

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "NeedsMiddleButtonEmulation"
    MatchIsPointer "yes"
    MatchProduct "Crappy HP Laptop|Ancient Mouse"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

You could do the same for wheel emulation and make my thinkpad work
usefully out of the box. :)

--
Dan