[RFC XI 2.1 - inputproto] Various fixes in response to Peter Hutterer's review

Denis Dzyubenko shadone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 04:30:36 PST 2010

Hi Peter,

(re-sending email to the maillist)

On 3 December 2010 07:41, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
>> 1. Most MT apps really just want gestures like pinch to zoom or pan to
>> scroll.
>
> Where is this assumption coming from?
>
> Whenever I get to play with an iPhone (for MT user interface
> research only, of course ;), I see plenty of MT input that are not any of
> these gestures. Admittedly, most of the apps I've tried lately were games,
> but the assumption that "most MT apps just want gestures" is dangerous and
> potentially limiting.
>
> AFAICT, we don't know yet, at least not on the free desktop. We don't have
> the number of MT apps to even start talking of "most". Remember, technically
> you can claim 2 out of 3 is "most" but 3 apps is not a useful sample.

I believe apps can be split into two categories

1. multitouch-powered apps and games - and those I don't expect to use
any gestures at all - from what I've seen games want to have more
fine-grained control over gesture behavior so I expect them to use raw
multitouch events and do what ever they want

2. traditional desktop apps - and they would be the main use-cases for
gestures. From what I see on a mac the only gestures people use is pan
to scroll and pinch to zoom and rotate and swipe to go back and
forward. And _occasionally_ some system-wide gestures like to bring
expose or to switch to another app.

I believe those are the two main use-cases the api should be targeting.

--
Best regards,
Denis.