[RFC XI 2.1 - xf86-input-evdev 2/3] Add experimental XI 2.1 multitouch support

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Thu Dec 2 07:34:44 PST 2010

On 12/02/2010 10:28 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 10:06:01AM -0500, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> Instead, we could create separate input devices for the strip and the
>> touchscreen. The strip would be a dependent device, and would usually be
>> attached to the same MD as the touch screen. However, it could also be
>> attached to a different MD, allowing for more interesting mixing and
>> matching of input devices.
>
> We could make the mode in the touch class a bitmask of direct and
> dependent, and let the driver tell us at touch creation time whether the
> touch should be direct or dependent?

That doesn't resolve the issue of sending two separate touch events from
two separate "devices" through one XI device. What if the intuos had
another touch strip? The touch event would have to distinguish between
the two strips somehow. I think the only way to do that would be through
a valuator, which would just be fitting a square peg into a round hole.

-- Chase