xorg input keyboard driver

Anderson Goulart global at goulart.info
Tue Aug 31 12:37:10 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I need some help on solving a keyboard problem. I got one with a different
keypad. This keypad have the keys: 0, 00 and 000 to use with financial
applications, but I don't know how to setup these keys to work under Xorg
and all applications (inclusive java swing).

I tried to make a GTK Input Method and it worked, but only with gtk apps. I
think the best solution is to develop a xorg input keyboard driver that
generates two and three  "0" key press event if the user press 00 or 000 key
(based on scancode/keycode hardcoded in the driver). In my mind this would
work independently of the application. Now I got some questions:

1) Is this a good solution? Or is there another simpler one?
2) If yes, where can I find information on how to make this driver? Any
example, documentation or some tip?

thanks,
anderson goulart