[RFC] Making tracing/debugging of client requests easier

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Aug 29 23:20:44 PDT 2010

Tiago Vignatti wrote:
>> I'll next describe how I'm going to implement this based on the RFC
>> review comments that I have received. The work is divided into a small
>> server side interface/extension
>
> nitpick: I think "extension" isn't a good name for an internal X server
> component. In X context, extension means things going through the wire
> protocol.

+1  When I first went to port the XACE code from the monolithic tree to the
modular one, I went looking all over trying to find the protocol definition
and client libraries before realizing it wasn't actually a protocol extension,
just a server-side framework for extensions.

>> so the implementation doesn't have to
>> reside in Xext but can be located elsewhere in the server as well (maybe
>> in os?).
>
> I don't know where. But registry code (dix/registry.c) is something that would
> go together (and moved out from dix, because shouldn't belong there).

Why not?  That's where the protocol & resource handling code mostly lives,
and the registry contains information about those.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com