X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1

Nicolai Haehnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 10:16:44 PDT 2010

I admit to not really having read everything in this thread, but I
feel that there is a point here that requires some more driving home.

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Chase Douglas
<chase.douglas at canonical.com> wrote:
> I think this comes back to a misunderstanding of the types of gestures
> we are aiming to recognize. The gesture events we are trying to
> recognize use a very small recognition period (in time or space). For
> example, a pinch is recognized once the two fingers have moved just a
> few pixels towards each other in a small amount of time. If it takes too
> long for a pinch to materialize, then it's not regarded as such and the
> events are passed on as is. This way we have very minimal latency.

Putting on my hobby game developer's hat, "very minimal latency" is
not good enough.

I don't have the hardware right now, but if I eventually get it and
toy around with it in a game context, I really want _zero_ latency.
Anything greater than that is unacceptable (obviously, some latency
cannot be avoided; but games really want to see input events as soon
as technically possible). If gesture recognition happens on the
server, then at the very least, you need to provide a way to disable
it over the windows that I care about.

Just my 0.02€

cu,
Nicolai