Make EVDEV a driver which is acutally useful

ManDay manday at gmx.net
Fri Aug 27 05:48:22 PDT 2010

Currently the EVDEV driver for axes-input-devices has just a few
pathetic options which are at best suitable for a mouse. But since there
are more input devices beyond mice and 2 axes joystick X appears to have
no proper support for them, whatsoever.

Since last time I contacted the list with that issue, where I was more
concerned about getting a generic HID driver which can handle it all
properly, people were little eager to get into that, I think I'll try
with something easier which even I could try myself at.

The only aim I set myself so far is supporting an arbitrary amount of
axes in analogy to evdevs XYAxisMapping.

That means, an arbitrary axis can emulate a button (or eky, for that
matter) of one's choice. It shouldn't be too difficult, generalizing
what evdev does for two axes already.

I hope you guys can give me tips where to start or whatever you can
think of. Should I enhance the evdev driver to become more generic and
support an arbitrary amount of axes or would it be better to write
something like xmodmap which cannot only remap key but can also map
keys/buttons to motion events?

So I get a motion even, say a 6 tuple and translate it to an arbitrarily
reformatted motion event plus additional keystrokes.

if such a tool already exists it would be great, if not i think it will
be extremely useful and can do almost anything you want, not to mention
will deprecate the pathetic evdev and xmodmap.

tips?