xorg-server 1.7.8?

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 26 15:14:26 PDT 2010

Le 26/08/2010 16:17, Matt Turner a écrit :
> Hi Rémi!

Hey Matt,

> Is there somewhere I can read the discussion that led to this
> decision, or about the decision in general?

Not really, no. We just talked about it with other 'x11 herders' over on
IRC a couple weeks ago.

Basically, 1.8 proved to be quite stable at first, then the successive
releases with various DRI2 backports from master/1.9 made it much more
crash-prone, especially on Intel chips.

Since 1.9 was nearing its final release at that time, we just decided
for the stable branch to skip 1.8 altogether and jump straight to 1.9.
Apart from the new udev stuff, there's nothing really interesting for
our users in 1.8, except the patches that were back-ported from 1.9...

I guess that's what we pretty much said about the topic...

Hope that sheds some light :)

Cheers,

Rémi