Help: it is too slow while run 'mutter' window manager

danny tornadory at 163.com
Tue Aug 24 23:00:19 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I tried to run mutter(the clutter based window manager) in one machine with
Intel(CPU) + ATI(GPU),  after installed the official driver(ATI
Catalyst™ Display Driver 10.7) it could launch normally, but it is too
slow to do anything in the system.

By the 'top', I found that the CPU load is up to 40-90% caused by Xorg
process, it seems that the hardware acceleration takes no efforts.

By the 'glxinfo', I found that there are 3 missed GLX extensions than
others used intel driver 2.7.99/2.11:
*GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
*GLX_OML_sync_control
*GLX_INTEL_swap_event

I found that the GLX_INTEL_swap_event was ever discussed in
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-November/003480.html.

from http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcxMA , I
see that:
"The benefit of this extension is that glXSwapBuffers call can be made
a-synchronous so that the client can continue on doing other work, but
then will be notified when the swap has taken place so that it can
return to preparing the next buffer."

from http://people.freedesktop.org/%7Ejbarnes/swapbufferevent.txt , I
see that "OML_sync_control affects the definition of this
extension", so it has closest relation with GLX_OML_sync_control.

In the source code of clutter, we could find that glXSwapBuffers is
called at clutter/glx/clutter-stage-glx.c:clutter_stage_glx_redraw().

I want to know:
1) What's the functions of those 3 extensions?
2) If they are missed, which part will be affected, any relation with
the issue I met on the ATI graphics card?
3) Any clues for this issue.

Platform info:
HW:
CPU: Intel(Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz)
GPU: ATI(Radeon HD 5650)

OS:
meego1.0
moblin2.1
fedora12
ubuntu10.04

Hope anyone could give some clues and thanks in advance.

--

 Best Regards,