X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Sun Aug 22 08:59:16 PDT 2010

Am 18.08.2010 23:02, schrieb Chase Douglas:
>>> The common ancestry is traversed from child windows to parent windows to find
>>> the first window with a client selecting for initiation of the gesture primitive
>>> comprising the touches. The first window meeting this criteria is the normal
>>> event window.
>> I think that normal window deserves a definition of its own.
>
> I'm not sure I follow? The normal event window is just a regular window
I just wanted to say that layout-wise, it should be more clear that
there is an important definition there. E.g. by putting it in the
definitions section.

> It's gesture specific because it may vary even among the same gesture
> type. Think of a rotation gesture. It may be performed by moving two
> fingers around a pivot point halfway between the two. The focus point
> would thus be that pivot point. A rotation may also be performed by
> rotating one finger around a stationary finger. The focus point would be
> under the stationary finger in this case.
>
> The point of the focus coordinates is to give context to the clients
> about the gesture. For rotations, a client will need to know at what
> point to pivot. For pinches, a client will need to know at what point to
> zoom at.
To sum up, it's semantically gesture-specific, but protocol-wise it's
not. IMO Peter's wording is fine.

>>> The timeout value is implementation specific.
>> (Having 5 ms here doesn't count...)
>
> Can you give more detail? I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Henrik and Peter said what I wanted to address here - no need to restate.

Cheers,

Simon