1.0 (was: lack of standardization on X11)

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net
Wed Aug 18 06:35:31 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 08:28:45AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> So at some point you will just have to implement it and throw it out
> into the wild. I don't think 1.0 is a good version number to begin
> with [...]

Why not?

Judging by everything I've seen so far, 0.x numbering schemes are always
doomed to fail. The simple truth is that you never know which revision
will turn out to be the one mature enough to get widespead use. Starting
with 0.x just means you will end up with a 0.x version in use forever --
a look at various parts the free software stack provides plenty of
proof.

You can just as well start with 1.0, and see where you end up. Probably
the first version ultimately being used will be 3.7 or something -- so
what? In my book, that's still a lot better than 0.17...

-antrik-