lack of standardization on X11 (was Re: X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1)

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Aug 18 10:33:05 PDT 2010

Am 18.08.10, 20:25 +0300 schrieb Vignatti Tiago (Nokia-MS/Helsinki):
> But I'm not talking about applications built on the top of almost-core X
> protocol, like redbaron. No one does this today. Get real and useful
> applications like recent compositor managers or a browser and come tell me
> about interoperability with old servers :)

You hit the wound point ;) How to magically make todays servers serve
future applications and languages? Would be really cool.

However, the question is more of if modern apps can run in 10 years ahead
not the other way round. Running todays apps, say compiz, on ancient X
servers is never a target at all.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--