lack of standardization on X11 (was Re: X Gesture Extension protocol - draft proposal v1)

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Tue Aug 17 08:31:54 PDT 2010

(starting a new thread to not mess with the things)

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 01:41:17AM +0200, ext Chase Douglas wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 09:05 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Chase Douglas
> > <chase.douglas at canonical.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >                            The X Gesture Extension
> > >                                  Version 1.0
> >
> > Are you shipping v1 in Ubuntu already? if so how are you going to deal
> > with incompatible v1 if someone thinks X.org should ship with this.
>
> We're shipping with what I would call 0.5 in Ubuntu 10.10. This protocol
> proposal is a result of the issues we found in our current
> implementation.

One of the benefits to write any protocol in stone is because a plenty of use
cases was thought for while, which theoretically could be used by lot of
application and consumers.

Everyone knows that we're not using X core protocol anymore and we're abusing
its extensibility feature. In MeeGo + QT 4.7 we're using around 15% of the
core protocol only. This all means we can play and juggle with the protocol
for anyone needs, adding and killing X extensions.

Now, the major problem is that we start to have a bunch of different
applications, each one using X differently. Ubuntu 10.10 employing one way to
do gesture, Ubuntu 11 another one, MeeGo another one and so on. That's silly!
We should be using the same basis set of system applications instead.

We're lacking standard.

> To ensure we have as little protocol incompatibility as possible, we
> have not published the maverick protocol publicly.

Chase, I don't think your extension is doing something wrong at all. I'm just
trying to call some attention about where we're going if we keep doing this
extension juggling. Something we need to think about.

               Tiago