Multikey autorepetition

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Aug 12 15:43:10 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:27:01AM +0400, Антон Ерофеевский wrote:
> > > Антон has even written a patch to implement it!
> > >
> > > Is there any X guru who could explain why such behaviour would break
> > > totally the X11 paradigm... or review the patch?
> > > Peter maybe?
> >
> > Key repeat is defined in the XKB protocol spec somewhere. I don't remember
> > off-heart but if that restricts us to one key at a time you'd need to bump
> > the protocol to repeat multiple keys properly. Just have a look at the spec.
> >

> Repetition only one key has arisen on cheap keyboards - their controllers
> simply and did not do anything else than a minimum
>
> As it works on good keyboards in mswin it is possible to see here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup? v =-H_ORH-L-Dk&vq=large#t=380
>
> But I do not know in this case - whether keyboards or systems worked it

right, the problem here though wasn't whether it's possible in hardware but
whether doing so would break applications.
I checked the XKB spec, autorepeat is discussed in section 4.1.2 and as I
read this, this allows for multiple keys to autorepeat. Having said that, it
remains to be seen if some clients implicitly rely on the current behaviour.

Антон, can you please resend your patch as a git-formatted patch to the
list? Review in-line is much easier than review on some patchfile stored on
the web. see also
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

Please CC me and Daniel on it, just in case.

Cheers,
  Peter