coding style - whitespace

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Aug 6 16:35:43 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the "mix" mode is what is wanted, could someone please send me a
> sample vimrc file that supports this mode?

I use:
:set sw=4 sts=4 listchars=tab:>- list

(That's "shiftwidth" and "softtabstop" for long. "list" shows you at a
glance whether the file is using spaces or tabs.)

Then, if the file uses spaces only, I ":set et" ("expandtabs"); if
it's mixed tabs and spaces, ":set noet".

If the file is mostly consistently using one style, but I happen to be
working on some lines that were in another style, I'll fix the
whitespace in those lines that I needed to change anyway, and
occasionally on adjacent braces and such.

Jamey