Generating HDMI 1.4 compliant 3D images?

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 07:44:44 PDT 2010

On Thursday 15 July 2010 09:35:46 Florian Echtler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> here at the university, we've recently acquired a 3D plasma display
> which supports 3D data compliant to HDMI 1.4. Sending 3D data in 1080p
> side-by-side format is pretty simple, however, you lose half of the
> horizontal resolution with that approach. The full-resolution 3D formats
> have some pretty weird dimensions, e.g. 1920x2205 (=1080x2+45). (*)

I see from http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#18

Which 3D video formats are contained in HDMI 1.4?

The HDMI 1.4 specification includes information on a wide range of 3D display formats at up to 1080p resolution, including:

    * field alternative
    * frame alternative
    * line alternative
    * side-by-side half
    * side-by-side full
    * L + depth
    * L + depth + graphics + graphics depth

Frame alternate seems to be the best for quality.
Simply double the frame rate and output the left and right images
on each buffer swap.

Barry