[patch] drawing window borders always falls back to software

Michael macallan at NetBSD.org
Thu Sep 24 17:35:49 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Sep 24, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 17:45 -0400, Michael wrote:

>>> I haven't seen any problems like this with EXA - otherwise it
>>> couldn't
>>> accelerate any operations on the visible screen. If you've actually
>>> seen
>>> such a problem with EXA, I'd be interested in more specific
>>> information
>>> about that.
>>
>> This happens only when drawing borders outside of DRAWABLE_WINDOW, so
>> it bites xterm and a bunch of Xaw widgets but not much else. You
>> probably wouldn't ever see it if you use KDE or GNOME. Also, you
>> wouldn't notice unless drawing by software into the screen pixmap had
>> severe side effects.
>
> Again, TTBOMK EXA doesn't have any problem with acceleration on the
> screen pixmap - the driver interface only deals with pixmaps, so at
> that
> level it couldn't even tell the difference between a window and its
> borders if it wanted to. ;) Do you have any actual evidence to the
> contrary?

Yeah, EXA's fine, all hail EXA, whatever.
Read again, I didn't say EXA /has/ a problem. I said it /might/.
If EXA uses the screen pixmap a lot and things are fine then things
are fine.

have fun
Michael