Enhancements for Render composite request

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 03:29:17 PDT 2009

Barry Scott wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 14:23 +0100, Barry Scott wrote:
>>

>>> Then you need to ensure that when the compositor does its
>>> tear free write other OpenGL and X11 apps do not stale until
>>> the tear free write completes.
>>>

>> The trouble is that the 'easy' way to do tear-free rendering is to stick
>> a 'stall' into the command queue just before the blt, which leaves the
>> entire rendering engine idle. We have theories about how we can avoid
>> this, but nothing has come of them.
>>
>> -keith
>>

> Does the intel GPU allow for parallel processing? Is that what the graphics
> contexts?

Having talked about this in the office it seems that the intel GPU can
have multiple command
queues. To do tear free and not stale the GPU some smart code would need
to use the multiple
command queues to avoid blocking OpenGL and X11 windows from preparing
future
content for the compositor.

Is that the theories you speak of?

Barry