New development model check-in.

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 27 23:55:27 PDT 2009

So, this is just a quick status check on the new development
model. I'd like to hear from anyone with an opinion on how it's
working for them.

Obviously we're seeing a bit more delay in getting patches into
master, but I think that's been mostly positive, with a bit more
discussion happening on various patch sets about the best way to do
things.

Am I providing enough feedback about patches that aren't immediately
applied? Do people want more comments on patches which are applied?
Has anyone had a patch go missing (neither applied nor replied to)? Am
I messing up in some other way?

Also, I'm still seeing patches on the list which are ready to be
applied that aren't Cc'd to me -- if you think a patch is really ready
to be merged to master, this is a good way to let me know. If you want
review by a specific person, make sure you Cc them too.

If we start seeing significant patch volume, I'll eventually have to
stop reviewing every single patch by hand and will need to start
relying on others to help out.  At this point, we've seen all of 147
patches applied to master since the 1.6.99.902 split point. Not
exactly stressing the system yet.

keith.packard at intel.com