[Xcb] Thinking towards 7.6 katamari, including xcb

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Oct 26 15:31:51 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Rémi Cardona's message of Mon Oct 26 13:57:00 -0700 2009:

> However, if the server "forces" changes like the Xext lib/proto
> overhaul, then the benefits are going to be much less.

We may require newer versions of the protocol headers as extensions
are integrated into the server, but we will not require newer versions
of any libraries.

> As for the release cycles, how about having 3 month cycles globally but
> the server core stays feature-frozen every other release? At least maybe
> for the first release or 2?

We might offer some level of ABI/API stability as drivers are merged
into the server. Perhaps making the first 3 month release API/ABI
compatible with the 1.8 release?

Then we can see how things look at that point; perhaps doing API/ABI
changes only on even releases.

keith.packard at intel.com