[PULL] Add VDPAU drivers to the server's DRI2 implementation

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Oct 26 13:07:40 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:45:31AM -0700, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> 2009/10/26 Aaron Plattner <aplattner at nvidia.com>:

> >> I don't think we need a new DRI2InfoRec for this.  Can we just add a
> >> field that's an array of driver names instead and a field that gives
> >> the length of that array?  Do you need a new device name for vdpau?
> >
> > Well, what I really need is a way to get the driver name into libvdpau
> > without also specifying that my driver implements the DRI2 interface.  The
> > NVIDIA driver doesn't need to specify a device name at all: the VDPAU
> > backend library determines that through our private protocol.  I don't
> > really have a good sense of what a DRI2 VDPAU driver would look like
> > architecturally, but my assumption was that it would call DRI2Connect with
> > DRI2DriverDRI like any other DRI client would, after libvdpau used
> > DRI2DriverVDPAU to get the appropriate libvdpau_*.so backend name.  Would
> > it make sense to have a single DRI2Rec with one name, one device path, and
> > a bitmask of supported driver types?  E.g.
>
> Do you have a DRI2 based VDPAU driver or are you just putting the
> infrastructure in place for potential VDPAU drivers?  If you don't
> have a driver on the way, maybe it makes more sense to add the DRI2
> protocol for VDPAU when
> we have an actual driver?

No, I don't.  I was just trying to put the infrastructure in place.
Currently, libvdpau reads an environment variable to determine which driver
to load and if that's not set, defaults to "nvidia".  That's obviously not
suitable for DRI2 drivers and this is what was suggested at XDC.

> >  static const DRI2DriverRec nvidiaVDPAUDriver = {
> >        .version = DRI2INFOREC_VERSION,
> >        .fd = -1,
> >        .driverName = "nvidia",
> >        .driverTypeMask = (1 << DRI2DriverVDPAU),
> >  };
> >
> > Presumably a driver with a mask of (1 << DRI2DriverDRI) | (1 <<
> > DRI2DriverVDPAU) could use the same name for both kinds of drivers.
> >
> > I could also just add completely new handling for DRI2DriverVDPAU such that
> > it only contains a name.  That's what I did originally, but figured
> > somebody might want the extra flexibility.  I'll implement whichever
> > interface you guys prefer.
>
> The only thing DRI2 should do in this case is to give out a different
> driver name for different driver types.  The thinking is that for
> different driver types (GL, VDPAU, VAAPI, cairo-drm, etc), the
> implementation may be split into differently named .so's and may even
> group the chip support differently.  For example, for mesa, the intel
> driver is either i915_dri.so or i965_dri.so, but cairo-drm may just
> load cairo-drm-intel.so for all chipsets (just an example).  The drm
> device file to use is the same in all cases though.

Oh, eww.  I didn't realize that's how driverType was intended to be used.
For drivers that use DRI2 as their backend implementation to talk to the
hardware (e.g. the Mesa/Gallium GL drivers or Cairo-DRM), I assumed the
server wouldn't really care what they were and they'd just go through the
same generic DRI2DriverDRI interface.

> Right now, the DRI2 interface in the server doesn't support this,
> since it only allows one driver name to be specified in the
> DRI2InfoRec.  That's an oversight on my part.  But we can fix it by
> adding an array of driver names to the struct and a length field.  If
> the requested driver type passed in in DRI2Connect is outside the
> array or the driver name entry is NULL, that driver type is not
> supported and we can return BadValue.  Otherwise, we fill out the
> return values and proceed as normal.

So I'd just pass in .driverNames = { NULL, "nvidia" }, .driverCount = 2?
I'll need to go through an make do_get_buffers and friends check whether
ds->{Create,Destroy}Buffer, etc. are NULL if we go that route since those
requests won't be implemented.