[RFC] removal of server generation mechanism

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Oct 26 08:11:41 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Adam Jackson's message of Mon Oct 26 07:20:20 -0700 2009:

> I think the only real detail that would need to be handled would be
> passing the listener sockets to the new process, since otherwise some
> other process could grab them while you're resetting.  Pretty sure even
> Windows has a mechanism for that.

You might want to pass the log file FD along as well. An audit of what
is currently preserved across reset would help figure out what else
should be saved.

(note that execve wouldn't change the PID...)

> execve() is an equivalent guarantee.

You'd have to close file descriptors, and probably figure out how to
deal with DRM too.

Frankly, I suspect that doing the reset in DIX would end up easier
than fixing the drivers to deal with execve, but either seems a lot
easier than the current code...

keith.packard at intel.com