[Xcb] Thinking towards 7.6 katamari, including xcb

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Oct 21 18:44:35 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Alan Coopersmith's message of Thu Oct 22 05:36:30 +0900 2009:

> The current Xserver 1.8 schedule calls for it to release on 2010-3-31.
> If we stick to the 6 month cadence well, then 1.9 should be released
> on 2010-9-31.  (Though I still think it should be called 2.0 if the
> drivers do merge back into the xserver tarball.)

I'm hoping we can pull the 1.9 release in by three months and having a
very short merge window that just adds the drivers back without other
significant changes. To make this work, we'd need to see trees with
drivers merged back well before the 1.8 release date. Driver
maintainers with an interest in having their driver integrated in 1.9
should consider posting merged trees for review in the next few months.

> I'd suggest then we plan on the 7.6 katamari releasing in early
> October 2010, close to one year after 7.5.

That seems like a good schedule. One thing I'd like to see is far
fewer packages released just before the katamari though; can you say
what kind of issues you've seen resolved by the updated modules?

> Due to the recent change to xlsclients (and suggested similar changes to
> other clients that still need to be written), the 7.6 katamari will probably
> be the first to have a hard requirement on XCB support - sometime during
> the next year we should decide if we want XCB to remain a separate thing
> we depend on or whether we want to work with the XCB maintainers to include
> it in our release process as a core katamari component.

I'd say xcb should be part of the katamari; I don't see any
significant issues here, we can just package it up and include it.

keith.packard at intel.com