[PULL] fixes and clean ups for alpha

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Thu Oct 15 13:41:03 PDT 2009

On 14/10/2009, at 2:24 PM, Matt Turner wrote:

> Matt Turner (3):
>      [alpha] don't return from void functions

Do you realise that the routines therein (i.e. _dense_outb(),
_dense_inb(), etc.) are not currently called from anywhere in the
Xserver?  At least, that is the conclusion I came to when examining
the code relevant to Alpha.  The routine _alpha_iobase_query() changes
_alpha_outb() and similar to be _dense_outb(), etc., if a dense I/O
mapping is detected, but this routine used to be called from some of
the old PCI detection software that was shifted out to libpciaccess,
and, as far as I can tell, is now not called from anywhere.  So
_alpha_outb() remains pointing at _outb() even on dense systems and
the _dense_outb(), etc.,  routines are now unused.

The _dense_outb() routines just check whether the port is 0xffff or
below; if so it calls _outb() else it does a direct memory access
using the BWX instructions.  At the moment the Xserver code just calls
_outb() without the check.  Whether that matters, or what the reason
was for introducing the _dense_outb() routines in the first place, I
don't know.  Maybe achieving some improved efficiency for dense systems?

Cheers
Michael.