git practices

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Oct 13 16:01:19 PDT 2009

On Oct 13, 2009, at 14:48, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:08:53PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> I'm still holding off branching from master or creating my own
>> xserver
>> git because I want to read your promised "best practices", so I do it
>> correctly.  Have you gotten around to starting that up?
>

> http://www.x.org/wiki/XServer
> is what we have so far. Let me know what's missing and I'll add it.

Ok, thanks.  Some questions/confusion from someone who isn't a git-
expert:

In "Maintainers", it's not clear that the directory you do "git
remote ... ; git push fdo master" is your checked out xserver.git ...
perhaps add:

git clone ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver
cd xserver

---

In "Maintainers", why are you doing "git pull master"?  Should that be
"git pull --rebase master"?  I thought you should never, never, never
use "git pull" ...

---

In "Scooping up patches," you do:

git push bond007 master

but in "Maintainers", you do:
git push fdo master

Where did "bond007" come from?  Should that have been "fdo" to match
the git remote above in "Maintainers"?

---

In "Scooping", Shouldn't we be using 'git fetch origin; git rebase
origin/master' rather than 'git pull origin'?

Is 'git pull --rebase' the same thing as 'git fetch; git rebase
_______'?

I guess I'm just confused about pull.

---

How can I get email sent for pushes to my personal git?  (eg: I'd like
to have mail sent to xquartz-changes at lists.macosforge.org)

---

When I'm on my local branch, how do I make it so master pushes to my
tree on anarchy?  Assume I've done:

git clone ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/xserver
cd xserver
git remote jeremyhu ssh://git.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/xserver.git
git push jeremyhu master
# edit some files
git commit -a
git push # will this send my local master to origin/master or jeremyhu/
master?  How can I make it use jeremyhu/master if it's still origin/
master?