XDC: randr extension for full display state setup (full set of outputs and crtcs in one shot)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 6 10:15:50 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Daniel Stone's message of Tue Oct 06 08:17:51 -0700 2009:

> So I was the one who brought this up.  In our case, the problem wasn't
> notification of RandR events, but that relayout + resize in apps is
> actually really, really slow, and if you need to disable one or more
> CRTCs, change the screen size, then reconfigure and re-enable the CRTCs
> in order to rotate, rotation is going to take approximately
> forever[0].

Yeah, I also think doing this multi-mode-set stuff should be fairly
simple to implement; just a reques that merges RRSetScreenSize and a
list of RRSetCrtcConfig requests. I don't think we'd even need to
change the driver interface to make this work.

keith.packard at intel.com