New release process for 1.8 (READ THIS)

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Oct 5 11:32:20 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 13:18 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> That said, e.g., what will happen with drivers which can't or don't want
> to be in the xserver tree? Like GPL input drivers, or the Gallium Xorg
> state tracker, which really wants to live in the Gallium tree at least
> for the time being. It seems like they would become second class
> citizens in the best case.

Strictly, mere aggregation of content in the tarball does not constitute
a license contamination issue.  If it did, glibc would be entirely
GPLv2, not just the binaries it happens to build; the whole of X would
have been subject to SGI FreeB 1.1; etc.

As an X.Org policy question, well, we're already shipping at least one
sometimes-GPL input driver, it's called keyboard.

I'd still want it to be possible to build out-of-tree drivers.  They'll
have all the version skew problems that the current situation has, of
course, but there's no reason to stop installing an SDK entirely.

- ajax