Finishing the X11R7.5 katamari

Sat Oct 3 02:11:32 PDT 2009

Didier Spaier wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation Alan. I just can't find any clear definition of
> "katamari" in Xorg's context, searching the wiki as well as this mailing list
> :-\

Sorry, it's what we call the X11R7.x releases in which we "roll up" a set of
individually released modules (the X server, client libraries, protocols,
fonts, etc - see the list in the first message in the thread) into a larger
release set.   GNOME and KDE do similar things to build their desktop
environment releases out of each individual module release.

It's the core set of packages we think make a usable and useful window system,
but which we assume you'll probably want a more complete desktop environment
sitting on top of.

The term comes from a series of video games [1] - perhaps one of the most
exciting bits of information passed on at this year's X Developer's Conference
is that they are now available for the iPhone! 8-)  [2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari
[2] Okay, so I'm a hopeless geek, which is why I spent my Friday
 night converting libXv API docs into man pages and releasing
 X.Org modules...

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com