New release process for 1.8 (READ THIS)

Ping pinglinux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 14:36:21 PDT 2009

2009/10/2 Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <arekm at maven.pl>

> On Friday 02 of October 2009, Ping wrote:
>
> > I think moving drivers into xserver tree benefits both driver and xserver
> > developers as well as distro maintainers.
>
> As distro maintainer I hated monolitic X. It's was nightmare to patch it
> and
> fix some build issues. Modular drivers are very nice for me.

As far as I know (I could be wrong), there is no xserver code, design, or
even architecture change involved in the suggested process. It is purely an
SCM change. Good or not, we (maybe I should say they since I am not really
qualified as part of X.org, at least not yet :) are still debating. The end
result of this change for you is: you get an xorg release with some tested
and working driver modules included.  To be honest, if I were a distro
maintainer, I would have been the first to vote for it :).

Ping