New release process for 1.8 (READ THIS)

Arkadiusz Miskiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Fri Oct 2 12:06:29 PDT 2009

On Friday 02 of October 2009, Ping wrote:

> I think moving drivers into xserver tree benefits both driver and xserver
> developers as well as distro maintainers.

As distro maintainer I hated monolitic X. It's was nightmare to patch it and
fix some build issues. Modular drivers are very nice for me.

> If the
> driver's maintainer could not provide the confirmation on a timely manner,
> the driver could be excluded from the xorg release.

And when it is fixed you would have to wait until new xorg release or play
dirty games with including driver again. With modular drivers you just take
new tarball.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team