Please revert Xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Sat Mar 28 00:12:36 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 02:06 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> David Miller wrote:
> > From: Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net>
> > Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 23:42:13 -0400
> >

> > > This is smoke and mirrors.  This is not about worrying about people
> > > accidentally hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace while working on their
> > > papers.  I've never in thirty years of *nix experience working in
> > > companies with tens of thousands of employees ever see this happen.
> > > This is about implementing a change for Emacs users so that "their"
> > > similar keystroke combinations don't conflict.  And that's not
> > > something that is affecting tens of millions of people.  That is
> > > affecting only the tiny Emacs community.
> > >

> > Wrong and wrong and wrong.
> >
> > People here, like me, have told you that whilst they've used X for
> > years, and that they know what the keysequence is and what it does,
> > they have still hit it by accident and lost work.
> >
> > I have fat fingers, other people do too.  It's not about user
> > education either, like you continually claim.
> >
> > And unlike the reset button and the power cord, the X server ZAP
> > sequence isn't protected in any "reasonable" way from accidental use.
> > Your fingers are flying over the "big red button" every time you type,
> > and that's what makes it a bad default.
> >
> If this were so, then you would have had thousands of people clamoring
> in the forums about such a 'terrible' default.  And we have seen no
> such clamoring.   And this Ctrl-Alt-Backspace historical keystroke
> combination has been around forever.  Your assertions about this
> so-called accidental use are vastly overblown.  I defy you to produce
> any credible documented major impact events from such "accidental
> use".  From experience I can tell you, it just doesn't happen in any
> statistically significant way.

I lost 3 hours work one day, I can document it if you like. It was a
major impact event for me.

I've actually started hitting a lot more often on laptop keyboards,
since the bloody keys are a lot closer together, I also notice I hit it
when I get brain pauses, I've got ctrl-alt down to switch desktops, and
I distract myself to delete a word in something else and boom, bye bye
desktop.

Get over it, move on, the world sometimes changes, adapt or die etc.

Dave.