First XI2 server implementation

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Mar 21 07:59:53 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 22:27 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

>   - raw events do not include button state

Very sensible

>   - FP1616 type implemented as INT16.CARD16

Not int32_t here? Or do sub-pixel desiring apps really need to pull two
values out?

>   - Enter/leave events include button/modifier state
>   - Focus events added - basically identical to enter/leave events.

Do the focus events get delivered on enter/leave in pointer-root mode?

> - While the protocol and the library support subpixels, the server doesn't
>   actually send them down the wire yet.

Any reason that scaled input devices can't do this? It seems like some
fairly important new functionality that would be nice to see
demonstrated.

> There are no protocol requests to grab for XI2 events yet. There's a reason
> for that: I'm currently experimenting with getting rid of the master
> pointer/master keyboard distinction in favour of a single master device that
> is both at the same time.
> This turned out to be ... tricky.

Yeah, I suspect grabs will make this difficult at best.

> I will post additional protocol request once I figured out the grab semantics
> for the single master device case. So far, I have not been able to reach the
> level of intoxication required to sort them out.

I know it's a nice clean-up, but frankly, having two virtual core
devices matches the existing core semantics and not doing it will likely
cause on-going pain with grabs.

keith.packard at intel.com