ACE access check differences between SelectInput & RRSelectInput

Eamon Walsh ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov
Mon Mar 9 14:34:07 PDT 2009

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 09:44 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>> While tracking down problems with GTK+ applications starting up under
>> Solaris Trusted Extensions since our move from Xorg 1.3 to 1.5.3, we've
>> found that the root cause seems to be that ProcRRSelectInput is requesting
>> we check for DixWriteAccess to write to the window (line 79 of
>> randr/rrdispatch.c), while the normal XSelectInput() is handled via
>> ProcChangeWindowAttributes, which checks for  DixReceiveAccess for
>> requesting events from the window.
>>
>> Is there some reason for this difference or any reason the check in
>> ProcRRSelectInput shouldn't be changed to also be DixReceiveAccess ?
>>

> None that I can think of.  Selecting for input on a window doesn't
> modify its state, so it's not "write" access.
>
> - ajax

Pushed this to 654449070005... in master, can be picked to 1.6-branch if
you want it there.

As I told Alan it's on my plate to go through and check for issues like
this, I already have a bug report that I think is the result of
"DixUnknownAccess" being used somewhere.

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency