Xorg fails to start on :1 with -nolisten tcp

Sergei Trofimovich slyich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 06:12:46 PDT 2009

I usually start xorg as:
$ xinit -- -nolisten tcp

Sometimes I need to start another instance:
$ xinit -- -nolisten tcp :2
But it didn't work: looks like all OK except all programs
started there have DISLPAY=:0 (not :1). And I see
all shanges they perform on :0. It is seen in linux console when
my scripts start different bits of my desktop:
    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".
    xmonad: X11 error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied), request code=2, error code=10
    xmonad: X11 error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied), request code=28, error code=10
(xmonad is my WM)

However,
$ xinit -- :2
works as expected. Second xmonad instance runs correctly on :1

xorg version is git master: xorg-server-1.5.99.1-1228-gb8050bb

--

  Sergei