X Developers' Conference 2009 (September 28-30)

Fri Jun 26 21:42:02 PDT 2009

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 07:33:19AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>> For instance, should we be seeing if Intel has someone in Portland to
>> come talk to us about USB 3.0 and what effects it will have on input
>> devices?  (For instance, from the wikipedia summary, I wonder if we
>> need to have DPMS-like controls for input devices with USB3, or adjust
>> our code to allow for waiting for devices to wakeup.)
>
> I don't think USB 3 really adds a lot here (wakeup from input devices
> has been part of the spec for a long time), but I'd be happy to talk
> about power management at the X-related platform level.

That would be good.   My comment was relating to the note in the Wikipedia
entry that USB 3.0 adds "Link-, Device-, and Function-level power management"
so I was imagining we could have per-device properties via Xi2 that could
let you say "stop powering my tablet when it's idle for 5 minutes or there
are no open apps selecting for events from it, but leave my mouse powered up
so it can wake the system up".   Perhaps that's just silly given the power
draw of most input devices, or I'm misunderstanding the description - that's
why I was hoping someone who knew more could tell us if there's anything
worthwhile to do there.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com