What to do now after Xgl and Xegl are gone....

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 12:32:49 PDT 2009

On 06/16/2009 11:26 AM, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Adam Jackson<ajax at nwnk.net>  writes:

>>> I was suspecting something like that.... Isn't there anybody else who has done
>>> this before? How do the folks from Maemo do this?
>> Xomap is findable in the maemo sources somewhere, I believe.  I used to
>> have a URL for it but it seems to no longer work.  It's a kdrive server.
>> I don't think it uses the hardware GL support at all though.
>
> There is also this an xf86-video-omapfb driver:
>
>          http://cgit.pingu.fi/xf86-video-omapfb/
>
> I don't know anything about it, though.

But I do. :3

xf86-video-omapfb is just fbdev with a bit of hax to make Xv be
semi-accelerated through the DSP. It's still massive amounts of fail.

IMO the correct answer is to port OMAP DSS2 to true KMS, and then add an
SGX Gallium driver to make the SGX 3D core do acceleration, but that's a
long ways off. (Unless anybody's working on SGX reverse-engineering, but
my search so far has not indicated any progress on that front.)

As far as using the SGX/TI blob for acceleration, we only say, "Good
luck." :3

~ C.