gcc3 source code in xorg-server-1.6.1.901

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net
Sun Jun 14 11:22:58 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 04:39:07AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net wrote:

>> It is not really source code. It is a .c file, but a generated one.
>> The real source is the .y.
>>
>> I don't know whether X.org has any policy about licensing of
>> generated files in the tarballs...
>
> I would suppose it should be treated in much the same way (for the
> same reasons - restrictive licensing) as binary blobs (I forget the
> term) from vendors such as Nvidia.

It's not a similar situation at all: A blob driver does not provide any
source -- use it or leave it; while here you do get the source under the
usual permissive X license conditions. The tarball also provides a
pregenerated parser with slightly restrictive license conditions for the
boilerplate part, but you are perfectly free to generate one yourself
with a different tool.

Also note that any program compiled with gcc has similar conditions.

-antrik-