What to do now after Xgl and Xegl are gone....

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Fri Jun 12 03:33:12 PDT 2009

Hello,

We are developing an embedded-linux system that has a TFT LCD display and
should be able to run different desktop-linux applications using mostly the
GTK+ toolkit on top of the X.org Xserver.
Right now we are using kdrive (xserver from latest git) with its fbdev driver,
but as it seems we will need Xcomposite (with hardware-acceleration). I have
been searching for quite a while now, but can't seem to find a clear hint as
to how to accomplish this with current X.org technology.
Our hardware platform (Freescale MPC5121e processor) has a PowerVR MBX
graphics core that comes with OpenGL-ES library and EGL support. That way I
came to the conclusion that Xegl might be an option.... but Xegl is dead.
What now?
I don't fear hacking Xserver or driver source-code to get something working on
a strange platform, but where should I begin? I don't have DRI2 drivers, nor
GLX libraries.... just (closed-source) Khronos OpenGL-ES-1.1 and EGL... and a
linux-framebuffer device, and I want an X-server with Xcomposite support.

Any hint is appreciated.

Best regards,

--
David Jander