gcc3 source code in xorg-server-1.6.1.901

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Fri Jun 5 05:20:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net wrote:

>> That wording could, for example, be construed to prohibit using the
>> skeleton in an application that generates parsers from a meta
>> description for xkb and the like.
>
> Not really. Such a generator would just create .y files as well, not use
> the Bison skeleton directly.

Perhaps the program you have in mind is that simple, but I wasn't
talking about a trivial case.

> The point is that the skeleton is part of a generated file, and as long
> as it is used as such, there are no restrictions. Ordinary GPL terms
> would apply only if you took the skeleton from the generated file, and
> used it for something else -- why would you want to do that?

One point to be made is that the source which was added to the tree
has additional restrictions which do not apply to other files.

(The other point is questioning whether there was a technical reason for
the use of bison - perhaps not)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net